February 12, 2015 Update
The search process is fully underway. The Advisory Committee and other stakeholders have provided very useful feedback and guidance regarding the attributes, values, skills and experience we should be looking for as we seek the next occupant of the corner office in Haas Pavilion.
The Search Committee is very impressed by the caliber and number of suitable applicants expressing interest in the position. Thanks to the prominence and performance of Berkeley's intercollegiate athletics program in the context of the country's preeminent public university, the work of the search and advisory committees, and the expertise of our search consultants, Spencer Stuart, the pool is deep.
At this point, we continue to anticipate that we will be able to arrive at a final decision by the end of April, as originally intended. We welcome comments and nominations, which can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 8, 2015 Update
The position and candidate specification information is now posted here.
November 5, 2014
Please send inquiries and nominations to: UCBAthletics@spencerstuart.com
BERKELEY – A search committee comprised of a UC Berkeley administrator, a faculty member, an alumnus, a coach and a former student-athlete has been formed to advise Chancellor Nicholas Dirks on naming a new Director of Athletics.
The committee is charged with identifying up to three potential candidates for the Chancellor to consider. The work of the search committee began this month with a goal to finalize recommendations by the middle of spring 2015.
The search committee is co-chaired by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Claude Steele and Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance John Wilton. The University has also retained the search firm of Spencer Stuart to assist with recruitment.
Other members on the search committee are:
- Bob Jacobsen, Faculty Athletic Representative and Interim Dean of Undergraduate Studies, College of Letters and Science
- Kathleen Correia, UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- Meg Conkey, Professor Emerita of Anthropology and Chair of the Chancellor’s Task Force on Academics and Athletics
- Solomon Hughes, Cal men’s basketball alumnus, Task Force member, and current Undergraduate Advisor for Student-Athletes at Stanford University
- Teri McKeever, Head Coach of the Cal Women’s Swimming & Diving Team
In addition, Chancellor Dirks has assembled an advisory group of faculty, staff, students and alumni to provide input on the requirements and expectations for Cal’s next Director of Athletics.
Members of the search advisory group include:
- Brad D. Brian (’74), Partner, Munger Tolles & Olson LLP; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- Mark Brilliant, Associate Professor of History and American Studies
- Zoe Clark, Cal Student-Athlete, Women’s Soccer
- William F. “Rick” Cronk, III (’65), Retired President, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, Inc.; member, Berkeley Board of Visitors
- Sonny Dykes, Head Football Coach, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Stuart Gordon (’62 & ’65), Senior Partner, Gordon & Rees LLP; member, Athletic Director’s Advisory Board
- Cyrus Hadidi (’96), Partner, JMB Capital; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- Neil Henry, Professor and Dean Emeritus, School of Journalism
- Thomas R. Hornaday (’63), Principal, Hornaday Development, LLC; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- William A. Lester, Jr., Professor of the Graduate School, Department of Chemistry
- Jasper Rine, Professor of Genetics, Genomics and Developmental Biology
- Johnathan Rodgers ('67), Retired CEO and President, TV One; member, Athletic Director's Advisory Board
- T. Gary Rogers (’63), Retired Chairman and CEO, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, Inc.; member, Berkeley Board of Visitors
- Richard V. Sandler (’70), Partner, Maron & Sandler; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- Stacy K. Savides Sullivan (’85), Chief Culture Officer and Vice President of People Ops, Google, Inc.; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
- Jenny Simon-O’Neill, Associate Director of Athletics, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Nadine M. Tang (’75), Social Worker in Private Practice; Instructor, Ann Martin Center; Assoc. Clinical Professor, Psychology, UC Berkeley; UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
The position specifications, including required and preferred qualifications and specific duties, are posted here and were determined after gathering input from the search committee, advisory group, and other stakeholders. Members of the campus community are encouraged to share constructive ideas about the position with members of the advisory group who will convey the input to the search firm. Anyone is welcome to suggest names of individuals who might be qualified for the position by sending an email to email@example.com, a confidential email address set up for this search.
Additional details, including position specifications and the application deadline, will be posted on this website as they become available.